Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Brass rings



Sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy to do so much of the fabrication myself. Making the band for this type of ring requires:

  1. cutting a strip out of my brass sheet
  2. sanding off the rough edges
  3. annealing with my torch
  4. running it through the embossing machine
  5. punching a hole in the middle
  6. bending the metal strip around a ring mandrel 
  7. pickling to get the fire scale off 
  8. tumbling to make it shiny

That's just the band, but the rest is easy. I look for a bead, nut and bolt that fits. Usually I need a metal disk as a kind of washer/bead cap. I make those out of sheet metal as well (which involves most of the same steps as the band). Crazy? Perhaps. But I have to justify purchasing all of those tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment